Moz, which if you don’t know is an authority in all things SEO, coined the term T-Shaped Marketer.
This basically refers to someone who has surface level knowledge in many of the digital marketing components but who also possesses a deeper level of understanding in one, maybe two fields.
The premise is that a breadth of knowledge shows a level of respect while depth breeds mastery.
So I’ve decided to start some side projects. I am a Kinesthetic and Visual learner which means I learn best when I am actually doing. I’ve tried to start side projects in the past but have never actually gone through with completing them. That’s why I’m committing to the process on my blog. For starters, actually blogging will help me with SEO. Also, I can use this as an accountability tool.
The purpose of these side projects is to help me figure out what I actually want to dive deep into and to help me actually dive deep. Right now, I’m thinking I want to focus heavily on SEO and PPC.
Right now I work as a Systems Analyst. I have been fortunate enough to work on other projects in my job including social media management, email marketing and content which is why I probably have gotten bit by the digital marketing bug.
I’m a lifelong learner which means that I LOVE learning but I know that I need to balance it out with doing.
I think sometimes people don’t like to show their beginnings. It’s all about the final product. But I think it will be fun to take you on this ride with me.
Objective: Have fun, learn, grow and maintain a consistent blogging schedule, work on Photoshop and photography skills.
I really want to have fun with this blog in terms of developing fun and unique content. To do that I have to be consistent and brave. I’m such an introverted and deeply personal person. So having a blog out here on the Internet is a little scary but I’m up for the challenge.
START AUTHORITY SITE FOR DIGITAL MARKETING PRACTICE
When I started on this journey a couple of months ago I found this awesome step-by-step guide on getting practice in the digital marketing field.
Objective: Practice Digital Marketing Skills
- Choose a topic you are passionate about and start a blog about it.
- Blog Business Strategy
- Site Architecture
- Get logo
- Get blog design
- Learn a little about SEO and write SEO optimized articles for the blog.
- Install Google Analytics tracking code and see if you are getting some traffic to the blog.
- Open an Adwords account and do some keyword research to see what people are searching for in Google to find information on the topic I am blogging about.
- Promote blog via Adwords.
- Write more articles and publish on the blog.
- Content Marketing Course – Completed
- Open a Facebook page dedicated to the blog (apart from personal page) and share the articles on a Facebook page.
- Social Media Marketing Course – Completed
- Promote page with Facebook advertising.
- Embed social sharing buttons in blog articles.
- Sign up for an email marketing service such as MailChimp.
- Explore other email marketing services
- Email Marketing Course – Completed
- Embed email signup forms on the blog and collect subscribers. Email subscribers whenever you publish something on your blog.
- Create Optin
- Promote Facebook page through email marketing and in turn also get more email subscribers from your Facebook page.
- Sign up for Google Adsense and deploy advertising codes in your blog.
COMPLETE 30 DAY PHOTO CHALLENGE
Objective: Become better at photography for my blog
I have a DSLR which I want to learn more about how to use. I also love iPhone photography because it’s always on you and it forces you to be creative and also to learn the basic skills needed to take an awesome photograph without all the distractions that a DSLR can have.
I found this cute little class from Brit and Co for Phone Photography.